Foreign & Commonwealth Office
Technician (Electrical) (S2) (01/17 KGL)
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
Job Category: Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Operations and Corporate Services)
Job Subcategory: Procurement
Main purpose of job:
Undertaking electrical installation and rewiring, doing maintenance works as required, especially electrical work and ensure contractors complete works to the required standard.
Roles and responsibilities:
Estates maintenance at the British High Commission’s estate in Kigali and Bujumbura will be provided by a small team of technicians as well as contractors. Working on a call-down contract, they will be responsible for completing work to specifications defined by the Estates Manager.
You will help in rewiring properties and in other electrical installations as well as repairs where required. But you will have experience with electrical works.
You will supervise contractors to ensure the security of the building in which they are working. You will report to the Technical Works Supervisor (TWS) on the standard of work and the contractor will not be paid until the TWS authorises it. This is an important role in ensuring the quality of estates maintenance.
For any work done, you will have to report to the Estates Manager or TWS the work completely done on a weekly basis to facilitate work monitoring and moving for further works.
You will have also to actively participate in carrying out of the routine maintenance of electrical works and related.
For any issue arising related to estates, you will have to communicate as soon as possible to the line manager or TWS and take immediate action.
Essential qualifications and experience
- Having experience and a qualification in electrical installation and repairs.
- Generator maintenance and repairing skills.
- Ability to communicate to customers either by email or verbally.
- Ability to do electrical rewiring works- UK standards
- Ability to work well with others - to build and maintain relationships with customers and team members;
- Ability to find solutions on technical/electrical matters.
- Ability to supervise contractors and ensure the security of the buildings in which they are working.
- Ability to report to the technical work supervisor (TWS) on the standard of work
- Should be prepared to initiate innovation and new ways of working.
- Fluent in English
Collaborating and Partnering, Delivering Value for Money, Managing a Quality Service, Delivering at Pace
Application deadline 2 May 2017
Type of Position Permanent
Location (City) Kigali
Type of Post British High Commission
Starting monthly salary Rwf 355, 650
Starting monthly salary Rwf 355, 650
Start Date 1 June 2017
- All applicants must be legally able to work in Rwanda with the correct visa/status or work permit.
- Employees recruited locally by the British High Commission in Kigali are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local employment law in Rwanda.
- Employees who are not eligible to pay local income tax: e.g. certain third-country nationals and spouses/partners of UK diplomats will have their salaries abated by an equivalent amount.
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted.
- If you have not heard from us 3 weeks after the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful. Any questions you may have about this position will only be answered during interview, should you be invited.
TO APPLY PLEASE VISIT https://fco.tal.net/candidate/login APPLICATIONS ONLY ACCEPTED ONLINE.