In 1965, Clark Abt expressed a single, noble goal—to create a world free of war and poverty. The visionary set to work establishing Abt Associates. Over the next half century, the company became known as a bold, innovative and effective agent of social change, committed to improving the quality of life and economic well-being of people worldwide.
Clean Energy Financing Experts – Rwanda
Climate Economic Analysis for Development, Investment and Resilience (CEADIR) Project
The USAID-funded CEADIR Project in Sub-Saharan Africa is seeking to engage one Clean Energy Finance Expert to lead work on this activity in Rwanda under the direction of Abt Associates’ CEADIR Activity Manager.
Please email your CV and Letter of Interest toIEGjobs@abtassoc.com and include “CEADIR CE Consultant” in the subject line of the email.
Background and Context
In September 2015, USAID developed a ‘Beyond the Grid’ DCA Loan Portfolio Guarantee facility designed to support $75 million in lending in Sub-Saharan Africa to scale‐up engagement in the off‐grid energy space across the region. This eight-year guarantee facility will leverage $75Million in debt capital for businesses operating along the off-grid and small-scale value chains to support their activities in Sub-Saharan Africa. The initiative is intended to adopt a broad perspective and consider diverse options for how to overcome the clean energy financing challenge; i.e.: exploring the potential for demand-side support (prospective borrowers) and the use of incentives to stimulate lending in other countries/regions.
CEADIR Task Order Objectives
The outcomes hoped for from this Statement of Work are: (i) full utilization of the targeted DCA loan portfolio guarantees; and (ii), identification of new and promising approaches to increase financing for off-grid and small-scale energy.
Statement of Work
The Consultant will work closely with the CEADIR Activity Manager, the International Clean Energy Banking Lead, the commercial lender/impact investor, and relevant focal points in the financial sector as well as government officials, to perform the following activities:
- Become familiar with the Desktop Analysis prepared by CEADIR and with the diverse set of documents and Internet resources on which the Desktop Analysis is based.
- Support the CEADIR team in discussions with the commercial lender/impact investor(s) active in Rwanda with the objective of developing Work Plans for it (them if more than one), working in coordination with the CEADIR Activity Manager, and develop drafts of the Mitigation Work Plan.
- Based on the discussions held and the Work Plan, the CEADIR Team may recommend that USAID exercise its option to create a grant facility. The Consultant will support preparation of an Action Memorandum justifying creation of the facility, for approval by USAID.
- Lead implementation of the work plan with the commercial lender / impact investor(s), providing support for the coordination of technical assistance activities to be conducted by other members of the CEADIR team, with regular reports to and consultations with the Activity Manager.
- Provide support in the collection and organization of data needed for project results monitoring and reporting (M&R) activities, in coordination with the M&R specialist supporting this Task Order.
- Provide support in the preparation of materials for educational and knowledge transfer activities, as well as implementation of any seminars or training sessions under Activity 3 (“Learning Capture and Implementation of Broader Roll-Out”).
The Consultant shall prepare and submit the following deliverables for approval by CEADIR and USAID:
Draft Mitigation Work Plans
- Input for Quarterly Progress Reports
- Input for Education and Knowledge Capture materials
- Draft Implementation Report in accordance with the Mitigation Plan developed
- Master’s Degree in finance, or economics, or engineering combined with relevant sector experience.
- 10-15 years’ experience in the national financial sector (commercial or public bank) and/or with a regional financial institution
- Familiarity with banking, insurance and capital markets at the national level in Rwanda and/or East Africa
- Familiarity and contacts with government institutions, especially bank regulatory agency, Ministry of Finance and Central Bank
- Familiarity with energy projects and policy frameworks required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English required