Job Opportunity Announcement / MCSP Communications Assistant
Jhpiego is an "international non-profit health organization affiliated with Johns Hopkins University. The MCSP program implemented by Jhpiego and its partners aims at reducing child and maternal mortality through increased coverage and utilization of high-impact low cost reproductive, maternal, new-born, and child health (RMNCH) interventions and innovative approaches and strengthen the capacity of the Ministry of Health (MOH) to manage and scale up high-impact RMNCH interventions.
Jhpiego Rwanda under the USAID’s funded Maternal and Child Survival Program (MCSP), is hiring a Communications Assistant who will be will reporting to the Communications Specialist, and will be based in Kigali with field travels.
The primary responsibility of the Communications Assistant is to provide assistance to both organizational and project communications to ensure high quality strategic communications to donors, stakeholders and beneficiaries. The Communications Assistant closely work with the Communication Specialist to ensure that communications adhere to the MCSP Branding and Marking Guidelines and to Jhpiego Guide to Communications. S/he work closely the Communications Specialist, Chief of Party and Jhpiego External Relations and Communications (ERCO) Team. The Communications Assistance will be based in Kigali, Rwanda with field travel, and will support project documentation and communication.
- Assist in planning, organizing Project Events such as campaigns, conferences and meetings
- Work with MCSP and Jhpiego Rwanda Management to insure that all personnel of MCSP and Jhpiego are familiar with the Communications Manual and processes
- Assist and engage MCSP and Jhpiego staff to identify strategic/ key/ inspiring activities to develop into communication pieces.
- Assist the MCSP Rwanda team to develop success stories and to explore opportunities for potential success stories
- Assist in giving Interview to identified clients / providers / program managers to develop success stories
- Take/collect photographs and videos of the respective clients/ providers/ program managers as per Jhpiego policy
- Assist in regularly updating MCSP share points and share folders
- Assist in development of communication materials such as newsletters, brochures, flyers, ads, promotional videos, slideshows
- Compile / collate program related photographs / videos
- Catalogue photos and videos and prepare a central repository
- Ensure all photos and video interviews have written and signed media consent release forms
- Assist program teams to develop effective communication tools, BCC and IEC materials
- Ensure proper branding and marking of Jhpiego and program materials and activities as per Jhpiego or program-specific branding and marking guidelines
- Ensured proper filing of project products according to MSH/RPM Plus standards and practices, including assisting technical staff in finalizing, editing and/or in follow-up with the editing team based in Washington DC as appropriate.
- Support program team to manage media at project events
- Assist to maintain updated project and technical briefs
- Assisted in the elaboration, dissemination and filing of documents and other communications materials developed by the project in Rwanda
- Track, periodically assess and respond to internal communication requirements
- Undertake all other activities as instructed by the supervisors towards furthering organizational objectives.
- Assist with developing and producing documents, reports and presentations according to Jhpiego guidelines for internal program needs and externally for dissemination.
Education & Qualifications:
- Rwandan by nationality;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Public Relations or related field;
- Proven 3+ progressive years’ experience in corporate communications, journalism or marketing, public relations, or public health from reputable international NGOs is a must;
- Previous experience in the development sector and proven non-technical writing skills is an added advantage;
- Strong experience in photography, video editing and success stories development;
- Demonstrated organizational and planning skills including the ability to multitask even under pressure of deadlines with minimum supervision;
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with audiences important to MCSP and Jhpiego, including news media, legislators, and donors and corporate leaders;
- Ability to represent MCSP and Jhpiego effectively to external audiences including corporate and foundation executives, business and government organizations and other cooperating agencies;
- Excellent computer skills especially in Photoshop, Publisher, Ms Office and Outlook;
- Excellent writing, analytical, and organization skills;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work in a multi-disciplinary team setup; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- Self-management is necessary (i.e. motivation, dealing with pressure, adaptability), detail oriented, professionalism and consistent image;
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform;
- Ability to work proactively, organize and manage own work and assist others to do the same
Interested potential candidates are requested to submit their application files made by:
- Motivation letter and updated CV;
- Proof of their previous experiences;
- Copies of academic Degree / certificates.
- 3 Professional references with full their names, phone number and email address ;
The application file should be addressed to Jhpiego Rwanda Country Director via HR.Rwanda@jhpiego.org with MCSP Communications Assistant in the subject line by April 17th, 2017 at 5pm. For further information on USAID’s Maternal and Child Survival Program, please go to www.mcsprogram.org
If you don’t hear from us within three weeks from the submission deadline, consider your application unsuccessful.
MCSP/Jhpiego is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate in employment because of age, religion, tribe, race, colour, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, military status, marital status, family responsibility, station of life, political opinion, health (includes HIV/AIDS, pregnancy) socioeconomic status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. Employment and promotion for any position are based on an individual’s qualifications and merit. Jhpiego does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, orientation or any other fees).