Chemonics International Inc.
Title: Director of Monitoring, Evaluation, & Learning (ME&L)
Project: Rwanda Soma Umenye
Soma Umenye is a five-year USAID-funded activity that aims to improve reading outcomes in Kinyarwanda for at least 1 million children in public and government-aided schools in Rwanda. Covering all 30 districts of Rwanda and working in close collaboration with the Rwanda Education Board (REB) and the Rwandan Ministry of Education (MINEDUC), Soma Umenye will contribute to Rwanda’s Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP) and the Government of Rwanda’s national development priority of ensuring that Rwandan primary-grade students acquire the fundamental competency of literacy so that they can succeed in future schooling and, later, in the modern workplace.
Soma Umenye aims to achieve the following two goals.
- To improve reading outcomes in Kinyarwanda for at least 1 million children (unique direct beneficiaries) in public and government-aided schools in Rwanda by the end of P3; and
- To ensure that at least 70 percent of P1-P3 students are able to read grade-level text with fluency and comprehension.
To achieve the above goals, it requires close collaboration with all education stakeholders under the technical leadership of MINEDUC and REB.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical leadership and oversight of ME&L activities to ensure quality, timeliness, and efficiency.
- Ensure that ME&L activities are in line with the USAID Evaluation Policy, and that periodic reports (oral and written) are provided to the chief of party for submission to USAID.
- Advise on the design of research activities relevant to early-grade reading.
- Provide quality assurance of the capacity building interactions of Soma Umenye with the University of Rwanda College of Education for ME&L activities.
Set up the MEL system
- Support the development of the project’s MEL plan
- Establish and manage a monitoring and evaluation system to track progress towards meeting program/contract deliverables, results, indicators and targets.
- Review the project contract and other background documentation such as the client’s strategic objectives, results framework, MEL plan, and country strategy to understand how the project helps to achieve the client’s goals.
- Support the field team in refining the project’s results framework, identifying indicators, and participating in work planning sessions.
- Ensure the chief of party and project staff in the field and home offices understand the importance of monitoring and evaluation and the use of information for learning purposes; Ensure project staff understands their roles and responsibilities in the collection of data for the monitoring and evaluation system.
- Hold a briefing session with project staff to ensure the MEL plan meets their requirements and the rationale for each indicator is clearly understood.
Implement the project’s approved MEL plan
- Ensure that performance monitoring, policy-driven research, and evaluations are consistent with program deliverables and results and track activity progress towards achieving targets and results.
- Ensure that M&E activities under this contract are in accordance with USAID regulations, USAID Education technical requirements and meet reporting timelines as described in sections B, C, and F of the project contract.
- Ensure that the methodologies used to measure the programs deliverables, results, and impact on improved learning outcomes, gender, disability-inclusive, and other measures in approved M&E plan, are being consistently and systematically tracked and reported in accordance with USAID data reporting requirements.
- Conduct periodic training for project staff, stakeholders, and/or partners. Share information to help them monitor the progress of their work and use the data for strategic decision-making.
- Oversee the collection of baseline data and the setting of targets.
- Oversee the collection of midline and end line data.
- Oversee the data quality assurance process to ensure project data quality and integrity.
- Oversee the set up and maintenance of the ChemResults system
- Oversee the maintenance of the MEL system, periodically evaluating its effectiveness, and adjusting as necessary to provide the project with accurate and useful data.
- Continuously review indicator achievements to date against set targets, including reporting to senior management on any indicators which may exceed targets by more than 10 percent or may fall short of targets by more than 10 percent.
Contribute to the development annual work plans and review the relevance of the MEL plan against these work plans.
- Update (as necessary) the M&E system utilized by the project, taking into account staff input and USAID recommendations regarding program benchmarks and indicators.
Communicate MEL information
- Provide as-requested MEL data to the client in a timely manner.
- Regularly communicate progress against targets to project staff.
- Support project communications staff to disseminate lessons learned and best practices to internal and external stakeholders, as appropriate.
- Oversee and guide the work of the ME&L Advisor, ensuring it supports the goals of the project’s approved monitoring and evaluation plan.
- Conduct other tasks as requested by supervisor or chief of party.
- A master’s degree (or foreign equivalent) required in the social sciences or a related field.
- At least 5 years’ experience working in monitoring and evaluation for donor-funded projects.
- Demonstrated expertise in quantitative and qualitative methodologies, research, management information systems, reporting, data quality assessments, data analysis and presentation, as well as experience monitoring and evaluating education and/or development projects.
- Must be familiar with USAID Education Strategy Technical Notes regarding monitoring and evaluation of Goal 1 activities.
- Possesses excellent facilitation, oral and written communication skills, including demonstrated technical writing skills for publication.
- Demonstrated exemplary diplomatic, communication, and interpersonal skills; Demonstrated ability to work effectively and collaboratively with host-country counterparts in both the government, university, and NGO sectors is desirable.
- Experience tracking equity in learning outcomes among boys, girls, and children with special needs preferred;
- Written and spoken proficiency in English
Location of Assignment
The location of assignment is Kigali, Rwanda with intermittent travel throughout the country.
The Director of Monitoring, Evaluation, & Learning will report directly to the Chief of Party or his/her designee.
How to apply
To Apply for this job, please Click Here https://chemonics-soma-umenye.formstack.com/forms/mel_director