OPEN POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT:
Water For People (WFP) is a global nonprofit working across nine countries, bringing together communities, local entrepreneurs, and governments to build and maintain water and sanitation services that will last. We have a sustainable solution to end the global water and sanitation crisis, and our employees across the world help drive this solution.
WFP is currently recruiting for the position ofRegional Finance & Administration Manager (RFAM) to support our programs in Africa which include Malawi, Rwanda, and Uganda. The Regional Finance & Administration Manager (RFAM) position oversees all aspects of the region’s accounting/financial systems and administration of the region’s country programs (CP). This position reports directly to the Regional Director Africa (RD), and also reports indirectly to the Controller. The RFAM contributes to the implementation of organizational objectives by providing necessary financial, administrative and logistical support to the Headquarters (HQ) office. The RFAM will demonstrate understanding of organizational mission, vision, values, policies, procedures, and strategic goals as well as trust and teamwork in all aspects of Water For People business. The position will be located in Malawi, Rwanda, or Uganda.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS & DUTIES:
Finance job functions and duties
- Serve as a liaison between CPs and HQ to maintain effective communication and ongoing engagement.
- Serve as a voice for HQ in the region, in both financial and HR matters.
- Work collaboratively with the RD, CPs and HQ to assist in annual budget development including preparing budget timeline, Excel template, train employees, review and analyze for reasonableness, and review for compliance with existing grants.
- Monthly review of financial statements and accompanying documentation from all country offices within region by providing thorough, detailed analysis of financial statements for each country, relevant to each country or district’s specific grants and program activities with analysis of explanations for each major budget/forecast variance; thoughtful outlook on each country or district’s future budget performance; key insights and areas of financial concern; and any other pertinent issues related to each center’s ability to meet its financial targets. Recommend and assist with adjustments as needed.
- Monthly review of the CPs funding requests and expense projections, processing of wire requests.
- Prepare monthly consolidated financial statements for the region to the Controller and HQ, including a visual financial dashboard, once developed.
- Work collaboratively with the Controller to ensure adequate cash flow management, reforecasting and reporting. Support and confirm the quarterly review of the re-projection exercises, including analysis of the variations, and ensure that those are adequately uploaded to Adaptive reflecting any approved budget increases or decreases with supporting documentation and approvals.
- Work collaboratively with the Programs department, specifically with the Regional Program Officer (RPO) and RD, to analyze and report on financial costs and trends across the CPs in the region.
- Assist as needed in annual external and internal audit processes, and donor audits, and preparation of audit workpapers for CPs. Responsible for communicating external audit results and variances to HQ.
- Annually review compliance with country financial manual, to ensure all procedures and controls are adequately being applied.
- Support CPs in developing budgets for specific in-country funding opportunities.
- Ensure all CPs are compliant with all aspects of the management of grants under their responsibility and work with CP accountants to ensure adherence to the legal requirements related to national taxes.
- Provide support to CPs to build their capacity for grant management, through regular reviews and training as needed.
- Work with CP accountants to perform a monthly reconciliation of temporary restricted monies and grant tracking for both financial and programmatic metrics, through the year. Review reports for HQ and donors. Maintain a regional “funding spreadsheet” which details restricted funds available to programs, annually.
- Support CP accountants as needed with accounting software and accounting related queries.
- Work with CP accountants to ensure fixed assets are tracked and maintained on a schedule and the schedule + relevant depreciation entries are reviewed and reconciled monthly/yearly as needed.
- Support selection and technical assessment of new CP accountants, contribute to the training and follow up assessment of the CP finance profiles
- Facilitate training to country offices around organizational financial policies and procedures.
- Provide FX tracking, monitoring and adherence to FX policies across CPs.
- Other duties as assigned by RD, Controller or other HQ personnel.
Human Resources and Administrative job functions and duties
- Work closely with CPs to ensure understanding and compliance with organizational and country specific policies and procedures and best practices in Human Resources and administrative functions.
- Work collaboratively with the HR team to support CPs understanding and compliance with the HR policies and enable knowledge sharing with HR on local labor laws and customary practices.
- Provide support to the HR team on initiatives such as the implementation of a global compensation database, policy implementation, and training.
- Coordinate the maintenance of country org charts with CPs, and share HR related documentation (e.g. employment contracts, org charts, performance documentation, etc.) with HQ’s HR team.
- Provide support to the IT department on ensuring the accomplishment of IT policy in the region.
- Provide support to donor’s visits when needed.
- During the annual risk assessment process, provide support to the country programs and lead to ensure that risks in the areas of finance and administration are appropriately mitigated and in compliance with organizational and country specific regulations.
- Provide support to the country programs to ensure that all legally required safety and security measures are adopted and in place.
- Advice on employment laws, policies, rules, and procedures to employees, and managers regarding Human Resources matters.
- Assist and support annual performance review process throughout region.
- Act as a process owner for selected HR processes such as payroll changes, HRIS, recruiting, benefits, and volunteer and internship management.
- Maintain vendor relationships with benefits providers.
- Assist with the regional development and implementation of a global set of HR and administrative standards, policies and procedures across the region while respecting local laws and culture.
- Support periodic reviews of regional HR policies and procedures.
BEHAVIORS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Highly accountable with the ability to deliver results in a fast-paced, collaborative team culture.
- Well-developed written, oral, interpersonal, and negotiation communication skills with a high degree of sensitivity for confidentiality.
- Task-oriented with an excellent sense of priority, logic and objectivity, highly organized and capable of handling a number of sensitive, confidential, and important issues simultaneously while responding to unanticipated developments.
- Understand ethical behavior and business practices which align with the values of the organization.
- Be a phenomenal team-builder.
- Genuinely care about employees and the pressures they face while demonstrating the ability to have tough conversations.
- Be self-confident but not arrogant, not fazed by tough questions or criticism, humble, open to feedback and coachable.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Masters’ Degree in Accounting or Finance or equivalent related work experience.
- Certified/Chartered Accountant fully qualified in ACCA or CPA from any of our countries of operation.
- At least 5-10 years in a management role in Accounting or Finance departments.
- Minimum 4 years nonprofit accounting/finance/grant management experience.
- Minimum 2 years Human Resources experience, with exposure to all aspects of the employee life-cycle.
- Knowledge of accounting software, preferably NetSuite.
- Understanding of the principles and practices of accounting, auditing, and financial reporting.
- International multi-currency experiences a plus.
- Flexible and able to coordinate multiple projects and meet tight deadlines; must be able to work overtime periodically.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and comfort in communicating with diverse and international constituents in order to provide excellent customer service.
- High level of attention to detail, self-motivated, and a team player.
- Ability to be a creative thinker, energetic and demonstrate enthusiasm and leadership in this role.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Ability to write, compile and/or edit materials.
- Advanced proficiencies with office equipment and Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Ability to travel up to 10% to all countries within the region.
- Normal office environment.
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job.
Contact and Further Information:
If you are both qualified and WFP interests you, please send us your resume and cover letter that introduces you to us, and provides insights into both your experiences and how you are the ideal candidate for this position. Resumes and cover letters can be sent to email@example.com ; please put the job title in the subject line. Please no phone calls or in-person inquiries.
Window for submitting your application is Monday, May 8 to Friday, May 26, 2017.
This is a full time position with a comprehensive benefits package. Salary is competitive and commensurate with level of experience.