(PSDAG Title: Professionalization Field Coordinator)
REPORTS TO: Senior Value Chain Professionalization Officer II
(PSDAG Title: Value Chain Professionalization Specialist)
Catholic Relief Services – United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (CRS) is an international non-governmental organization supporting relief and development work in around 100 countries around the world. CRS programs assist persons on the basis of need, regardless of creed, ethnicity or nationality. The primary goal of CRS’ Rwanda programming is to ensure that vulnerable households in Rwanda achieve full, integral human development.
CRS is implementing the USAID-funded Private Sector-Driven Agricultural Growth (PSDAG) program as a sub-recipient. The program focuses on increasing private sector investment in Rwandan agricultural value chains. With the aim of increasing market linkages, the program engages a wide array of partners including cooperatives, aggregators, processors, entrepreneurs, microfinance institutions, and various private sector actors.
The role of the Professionalization Field Officer is to deliver programming that strengthens the professionalization of cooperatives, supporting them in implementing tailored capacity-building plans to become registered (if not already), manage cash flows, deliver based on buyers’ terms, provide access to finance for farmer members as well as for marketing, and to manage data collection systems. Increased professionalization will enable cooperatives to enter into and respect terms of their contracts with buyers and delivering their product on time and according to buyer specifications. The Professionalization Field Officer will deliver trainings, provide day-to-day technical support to cooperatives while adhering to high standards of programmatic and management quality in the area of cooperative professionalization, drawing on national and global best practices.
- Carry out PSDAG Objective 2 value chain professionalization programming, particularly in supporting the professionalization of cooperatives.
- Contribute technical support to sub-contractor mapping of cooperative professionalization to ensure high-quality program deliverables and compliance with USAID and CRS regulations and policies.
- Conduct trainings aimed at strengthening the professionalization of cooperatives.
- Roll out trainings in the area of professionalizing cooperatives, including application of the Cooperative Competency Management tool.
- Establish sound relationships and work effectively and creatively with partner cooperatives.
- Support relationship building between farmer group leadership and other actors, including buyers, material/service providers, and various other private sector actors.
- Document the learning process and lessons learned during implementation of project activities.
- Prepare inputs to and conduct reviews of technical reports, according to agreement requirements.
- Develop and monitor relevant budget line items and report on expenditures.
- Other tasks as may be assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, business or another relevant field.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience working in agriculture, agro-enterprise or value chain development programming.
- Experience as a trainer, mentor and coach, and demonstrated success in knowledge transfer of cooperative professionalization approaches and interventions.
- Ability to transfer knowledge to people with a variety of interests and educational backgrounds through both formal and informal training.
- Knowledge of USAID programming preferred; experience in USAID contracting is an advantage.
- Strong organizational skills, team work and ability to prioritize tasks in a timely manner.
- Sound coordination skills and a demonstrated ability to multi-task.
- Demonstrated skills in diplomacy, flexibility, and resourcefulness.
- Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, ability to work well with people, good judgment and commitment to CRS’ mission.
- Willingness to travel to rural project districts around the country. Position is based in the field outside Kigali.
- Fluent spoken and written English or French, and Kinyarwanda, required.
- Rwandan nationality.
Agency-wide Competencies (specific for this position):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results. The following are specific to this position:
- Serves with Integrity
- Develops Constructive Relationships
- Models Stewardship
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Senior Value Chain Professionalization Officer II, Agro -enterprise Development Advisor, PSDAG Agriculture Component 2 Lead, PSDAG program technical staff, administration and finance units, CRS Senior Technical Advisor for Agriculture
External: Partner cooperatives, PSDAG consortium members, PSDAG sub-contractors
How to apply
Electronic applications-Only a motivation letter and a current detailed CV should be addressed to the CRS Country Representative exclusively at CRS_RW@global.crs.org not later than Friday, February 9, 2018 at 5:00pm. Due to anticipated high interest in this post and the expected number of applicants, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Kigali January 29, 2018