We’re transforming Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries!
The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS, www.nexteinstein.org) is a pan-African network of centres of excellence for postgraduate training, research and outreach in mathematical sciences. Its mission is to enable Africa's brightest students to flourish as independent thinkers, problem solvers and innovators capable of propelling Africa's future scientific, educational and economic self-sufficiency. The first AIMS centre opened in Cape Town, South Africa in2003; since 2011, AIMS has opened additional centres in Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon, Tanzania and Rwanda. The goal of the AIMS Next Einstein Initiative (AIMS-NEI) is to build a pan-African network of 15 centres of excellence across the continent by 2023.
Each AIMS Centre provides an intensive and broad education to over 50 African students each year and prepares them for leadership careers in academia, government and industry. The AIMS educational program relies on top international lecturers who teach in a 24-hour learning environment.
If you bring a collaborative spirit with a passion to effect change, consider this opportunity as the…
Liaison Officer (TTP), Rwanda
The Teacher Training Program (TTP) Rwanda is a five-year blended (face-to-face and online) training program seeking to enhance the capacity of secondary school teachers (in-service and pre-service) in the teaching of mathematics, biology, chemistry and physics with the use of information technologies as a key component in teaching and learning. In partnership with the Government of Rwanda, the Rwanda education board (REB) and the University of Rwanda college of education (UR-CE), the program will equip teachers with skills, tools and resources to implement the competency based curriculum (CBC) using the Mathematics and Sciences for Sub-Saharan Africa (MS4SSA) approach adopted from the World Bank.
As one of two Liaison Officers, you will work closely with school subject leaders to maintain a database of schools within the districts of responsibility and serve as the primary contact point for the program at the district level. Working hand-in-hand with the school subject specialists you will contribute to identify needs, concerns and promptly set the right processes in place to offer effective solutions. As the first point of contact, you will you will be a key source of on-the-ground intelligence that will be used to inform special requirements, to be aware of emerging grievances or issues for relevant and timely escalation, and you will actively plan for and facilitate site visits and other learning expeditions by various program stakeholders to contribute to program enhancements. Additionally, you will organize events and activities to promote the program at the district level.
This is a full-time opportunity based in Kigali with extensive travel in rural areas of Rwanda.
Do you have what we need?
- A Bachelor’s degree in education development, communication, marketing, or social sciences is required.A Master’s degree is an asset
- At least 3 – 5 years of relevant work experience
- Possess good communication skills both oral and written and be able to:
- Act as the first contact person with the program activities and implementers
- Articulate and deliver information both technical and general at school level
- Source and filter information for feeding back to the program manager, subject teachers and other stakeholders
- Collect relevant data for feedback and program outreach
- Good organizational skills with experience in data collection techniques
- Demonstrated ability to liaise with all stakeholders of the program for and information sharing
- Have a good knowledge of the education landscape backed with a knowledge of Education administration in Rwanda
- Ability to quickly assimilate information specific to the program, from both a technical organization as well as school perspective
- Proficient in use of Information Technologies as demonstrated by a good knowledge of MS Office applications of Word, Excel and Outlook
- Experience working in an NGO is an added advantage
- Have good coordination and negotiation skills
- Possess good event and time management skills
- Proficiency with MS Office, Google Apps and Skype
- Good command of English language, a knowledge of Kinyarwanda or French is essential
- Ability to tolerate working hours outside the normal work schedule
Are you ready to be a part of the transformation?
Submit your letter of motivation, including salary expectations together with a detailed CV in English to: email@example.com (i.e. quote “Liaison Officer TTP RWA” in the subject line). Applications will be accepted until February 2, 2018.
Should no feedback be received from AIMS-NEI within four weeks of your submission, kindly accept that your application will not be further pursued. AIMS-NEI reserves the right not to make an appointment at its sole discretion.
AIMS-NEI is an equal opportunity employer.