The Institute of Policy analysis and Research (IPAR –Rwanda) is a fast growing indigenous, independent, not-for-profit Rwandan Institution. IPAR seeks to enhance evidence based policy making by conducting timely, relevant, high-quality, policy-oriented analysis and research. It also promotes a culture of debate and dialogue on policy issues in Rwanda.
IPAR-Rwanda would like to utilize part of its owngenerated revenue to hire two qualified and experienced staff at the positions of Senior Research and Research Fellow. The post holder needs to have substantial experience in research and policy analysis proposal writing and report writing.
Job Title: Senior Research Fellow
Key roles and required Qualification
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- To provide intellectual leadership to the research team and to ensure IPAR's research output is of quality, timely, relevant and high impact,
- To provide on the job mentoring and coaching of IPAR research staff in areas of their work
- To design, lead and deliver research programmes, consultancy assignments, projects and policy briefs that contribute to meeting IPAR's core objectives,
- To provide leadership in research project management: developing sustainable means to ensure that IPAR's research is quality assured, submitted to rigorous deadlines, and that budgets are properly designed and managed
- To develop funding proposals and drive the organization's ability to access new and diverse funding sources
- To contribute to building the public profile of the organization by creating opportunities to participate in various forms of dialogue with public, not-for- profit, private and donor stakeholders and by public speaking and contributing to print and broadcast media
Desired Profile of the senior Research Fellow
- Highly motivated research professional, with a PhD in Economics or its equivalent from a top-tier university, and with at least 5 years of relevant research experience in a think-tank or active policy research Institute Self-starting and entrepreneurial individual with a firm understanding of policy analysis and how to influence the policymaking process
- Record of high quality research output demonstrable by publications in prestigious outlets including high quality journals, policy documents and newspapers
- Expertise in qualitative and quantitative research methods and the willingness and ability to transfer those skills to others
- Strong and demonstrable research administration and budget management skills and the willingness to transfer those skills to others
- Leadership track record with experience of managing people, mentoring and skills transfer within a multi-disciplinary research environment
- Experience of undertaking a similar role in a public policy research institute or think tank
- Fluency in English is essential, working knowledge of French and/or Kinyarwanda is an added advantage
- Highly numerate, with strong skills in micro-economic and statistical analysis, with expertise in statistical software (e.g. SPSS, STATA) very desirable
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)
- Qualified women are encouraged to apply
- Reports, proposals, and articles written as needed
- Budgets that area developed and adhered to
- Presentations of research findings made to policymakers, media, and other public audiences
- Funding adequate to support research operations
- Detailed documentation and a database for all work performed
- Deadlines for research projects met within established time flames
- The senior research fellow will report to the Director of Research IPAR. He/she will have responsibility for leadership of a research team of up to 12 research assistants.
Duration of Contract
The position is available for immediate start and the duration of the initial contract is 2year with possibility of renewal upon satisfactory performance.
An attractive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered to successful candidate
HOW TO APPLY?
Interested candidates should send a short cover letter, CV and Academic credentials to firstname.lastname@example.org copy to email@example.com by 25th Febuary,2018 at 5pm. Short listed candidates will then be interviewed shortly afterwards. Should you have any further questions please send e-mail on firstname.lastname@example.org with “Senior Research Fellow ” in the subject line.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted. Please consider not to have been shortlisted if you are not contacted by March 25th, 2018.