The Accountant oversees the financial operations of GHI Rwanda, including monitoring expenditures and reporting on them, paying taxes, preparing expense requests, and compiling the monthly budget. He also ensures that the organization is financially healthy by coming up with innovative ways with staff to keep programming and operations strong while cutting costs.
- Oversees GHI’s financial operations in Rwanda.
- Leads monthly budget exercise and compiles for the Finance Director and Country Director.
- Collects expense requests.
- Pays RRA taxes PAYE, RAMA & CSR.
- Deposits returned Expense Request money onto GHI’s appropriate account.
- Ensures 100,000 RWF in petty cash at all times, supporting other finance staff to keep records and follow up with program staff for tracking.
- Documents financial transactions by entering account information the organisation’s accounting system (Quick books).
- Inputting data in the bank’s online banking application (OMNI) for approval by the Country Director.
- Secures financial information by completing data base backups.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by keeping abreast with all statutory and regulatory regulations by studying existing and new legislation, enforcing adherence to requirements, and advising management on needed actions.
- Prepares ad hoc and monthly financial reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing account information and trends.
- Maintains financial security by following internal controls.
- Co-leads preparation of reports for restricted and non-restricted funds.
- Reviews, updates and ensures continuous relevance and improvement of finance standards and policies i.e. accountabilities, use of receipts etc.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
Broader role at GHI
- Coaches staff on how to prepare budgets and save the organization money.
- Supports the Finance Director’s portfolio.
Qualifications and Experience
- At least five years of working experience in a fast paced not for profit organization, 2 years of which must have been in supervisory role.
- Prior experience using quick books in a professional setting.
- Proficient Microsoft Excel skills.
- Part qualification of CPA is an added advantage.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration (BBA)- Majoring in Accounts, Bachelors of Commerce, or related degree.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should send an application letter plus an updated Curriculum Vitae in English, including 3 names of professional referees to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than February 13, 2018.