Help a Child (HaC) is a Christian international NGO specialized in community development with its headquarters in the Netherlands and operating in Rwanda since 2008. Founded in 1968, HaC’s mission is to improve the wellbeing of children living in poverty and crisis through supportive communities. Principal sources of income are child & family
sponsorship, foundations and institutional donors. HaC’s strategy is to empower marginalized children, youth, parents and the broader community and other stakeholders, mainly through a Self Help Group approach. Main interventions are focused at early childhood development, education, (agricultural) vocational training and economic development, with special attention for the position of girls and women, and children’s
Job Purpose: The Finance Officer performs a key supporting role in our organisation. S/he is responsible for managing all financial records and providing daily administration and financial support to the Country Program Director and Program Managers. The Finance Officer will ensure staff and implementing partner organizations adhere to the established processes for making expenses in accordance with the approved budgets. The Finance Officer will code financial bookings and ensure they are registered on the right accounts so that regular and accurate reports can be produce which track expenditures against the budget. Next to these responsibilities, the Finance Officer will be the key person to support the national and international team in all sorts of office management and administrative tasks such as arranging travel logistics, organizing files, maintaining files, preparing for meetings and trainings, etc. These responsibilities are essential for the Rwanda country office to have accurate, consistent administrative and financial systems as well as efficient performance of the program.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate with Head Office financial team to learn protocols, procedures, and web-based financial system (Pluriform)
- Ensure that employees adhere to the established processes for submitting expenses and that they are coded correctly in accordance with the budget
- Promptly follow up on accounts payable to receive invoices and make payments to suppliers
- Prepare payroll and tax payments in due time
- Enter bookings in the financial system
- Perform bank reconciliations for all bank accounts and monitor bank balances
- Manage petty cash and follow procedures for cash handling
- Produce monthly financial reports for the Country team to review
- Assist the Country Program Director in creating and updating financial forms and procedures to ensure the office adheres to Head Office and general standards for financial accountability
- Review implementing partner organizations’ annual budgets and bi-annual financial reports to check the logic of amounts used and identify any calculation errors
- Perform spot checks of partners’ financial systems at field offices and give guidance on how they can improve
- Perform ad hoc analyses as requested by the Country Program Director
- Receive and screen visitors to the office, assisting them with enquiries and directing them appropriately
- Organize all office files and ensure they are up-to-date and that relevant records can be easily found
- Manage the office calendar and maintain an overview of daily activities of the core team
- Assist in domestic travel/transport arrangements for staff and visitors in Rwanda, including domestic airline tickets, vehicle use, accommodation, and meals
- Assist in international travel arrangements for staff and visitors to Rwanda
- Monitor office supplies and gather quotations for both consumable and durable items, as needed
- Update the office asset register when new items are purchased an on an annual basis
- Provide administrative assistance and logistical support for workshops and meetings; work with the relevant officers, to ensure booking of venue and availability of all materials and equipment required
- Organize management meetings, prepare the agenda with country director and take minutes
- Assist in maintaining accurate and up-to-date employee records – personnel files, performance reviews, leave tracking, etc.
- Ensure staff are entering required information into the web-based system (Pluriform) – i.e. writing time and making leave requests
- Assist in recruitment logistics – advertising positions, responding to applicants, arranging interviews, checking references, etc.
1. Minimum Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Business Administration, or related field
2. Excellent knowledge and experience in MS Office packages, especially Excel
3. Training in financial software, such as QuickBooks
4. Minimum 2 years experience in financial administration
5. Excellent communication, organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills
6. Strong analytical and problem solving skills
7. Fluent in Kinyarwanda and English (oral and written)
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
Reports to: Country Program Director
HaC offers the opportunity to become part of an ambitious, Child centred and Christian International NGO with a dedicated team of professionals motivated to maximize impact. HaC offers a fair pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. Furthermore, you will be offered a fixed term contract for the first year. Depending on your performance and fit with the staff, the contract will be extended
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are kindly invited to send a cover letter and resume (both in English) at the latest on February 28th, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org . In your cover letter please reflect on your motivation for wanting to become part of the HaC organization. This includes a reflection on HaC being a Child centred and Christian organization.
For more information please contact us at email@example.com. An (e-) assessment will be part of the selection process. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Help a Child is committed to keep children safe. All staff are required to sign and adhere to the Help a Child’s Child Safeguarding Policy. Recruitment is subject to successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks.