Recruiting a Research Assistant for IITA
International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is an international non-profit research-for-development (R4D) organization created in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported primarily by the Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). IITA’s R4D is anchored on the development needs of Sub-Saharan Africa and develops agricultural solutions with partners to tackle hunger and poverty by reducingproducer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture.
CIAT, on behalf of IITA, is seeking for a Research Assistant to support timely and efficient data collection and reporting in the following two projects in Rwanda Office. The Consortium for Improving Agriculture-based Livelihoods in Central Africa (CIALCA – www.cialca.org) that seeks to improve food, income and nutrition security with the Rwandan government, public and private sector and partners. The second is a project that seeks to work with extension officers and lead farmers for better management of Banana Xanthomonas Wilt (BXW), using (smart) phone and other information and communication technology (ICT). The project will be gathering data on household characteristics, communication needs, ICT-use efficiency, and incidence and severity of the BXW disease in the intervention areas in Rwanda. For more information on this ICT4BXW project, please click here. The position will report to the IITA Country Representative.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
1. Research assistance to CIALCA and ICT4BXW projects
- Assist CIALCA and BMZ scientists and staff in effective data collection using ODK-surveys and tablets, interviews, workshops, participatory observation and other methods.
- Assist CIALCA and BMZ scientists and staff in basic data cleaning and analysis.
- Support the implementation and quality control of multi-locational experiments (agronomy, nutrition, economic, social).
- Support the development and testing of ICT-based tools for extension officers and lead farmers’ decision making.
2. Support training and capacity development
- Lead training and supervision of data collectors and enumerators;
- Support the training of agricultural extension officers and lead farmers in the use of smart-phone based tools;Ongoing support and follow up with agricultural extension officers and lead farmers engaged in the program
3. Reporting and administration Assistance:
- Timely and effectively manage/support administrative and project technical reporting products.
- Liaise with IITA Rwanda and CIAT staff on administrative issues related to the projects.
The candidate shall have the following competencies, skills and experience:
- At least a Bachelor degree in Agricultural or other relevant fields with proven data collection and reporting skills.
- At least five (5) years of relevant work experience in a closely related field gained in an International Organization in Agricultural sector
- Experience in digital data collection e.g. using tablet-based surveys; and developing and testing mobile (smart) phone applications with extension officers and farmers.
- High level of computer and ICT skills (MS Office Word and Excel) and ability to learn new applications quickly.
- Fluent in both spoken and written English and Kinyarwanda. French is an added advantage.
- Valid driving license will be an added advantage
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision, but also participate as a team member in accomplishment of duties.
- High level analytical thinking capacity
- Understanding and experience, working in banana- and cassava-based farming systems.
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, good judgment and a high level of respect for confidentiality.
- Must be proactive and takes initiative, and has an eye for detail and perfection.
- Willingness to learn and develop as part of the IITA team in Rwanda.
- Ability to work in a multi‐cultural environment.
- Commitment to IITA’s mission and core values.
Terms of employment:
The position is nationally recruited, will be based at IITA Offices in Kigali, Rwanda. The contract will be for one (1) year period, subject to a probation period of three (3) months, renewable depending on performance and availability of resources.
How to apply:
Applicants are invited to visit http://ciat.cgiar.org/ciat-jobs to get full details of the position and to submit their applications, clearly indicating position applied for as Research Assistant. An application Letter and Curriculum Vitae should be attached and saved as one document using candidate’s last name-first name for ease of sorting.
Applications closing date: 2nd March 2018
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.