International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), Research and Communication Assistant Jobs Vacancy
Recruiting a Research and Communication Assistant for IITA
International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is an international non-profit research-for-development (R4D) organization created in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and supported primarily by the Consultative Group of International Agricultural Research (CGIAR). IITA’s R4D is anchoredon the development needs of Sub-Saharan Africa and develops agricultural solutions with partners to tackle hunger and poverty by reducing producer and consumer risks, enhancing crop quality and productivity, and generating wealth from agriculture.
CIAT, on behalf of IITA, is seeking for a Research and Communication Assistant with the overall responsibility of providing timely and efficient data collection, data reporting and science communication support to CGIAR Research Program Roots, Tubers and Bananas (RTB - http://www.rtb.cgiar.org/). RTB program has a project on “Scaling of Agri-Food Innovations through research for development projects”. The position will focus on supporting the scientist engaged in this project. The position reports to the IITA Country Representative.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
1. Research Assistance to RTB Project (http://bit.ly/2g9nsgy)
- Assist the RTB project leader and project staff in effective data collection using survey, interview, participatory observation and other methods.
- Assist the RTB project leader and project staff in effective data reporting using online tools, emails, data repositories and other methods.
- Assist the RTB project leader and project staff in basic data analysis whenever it is necessary.
2. Communication Assistance
- Manage social media content of the RTB project and other IITA Rwanda projects in coordination with the project team.
- Support development of other media contents for the RTB project and other IITA Rwanda projects.
- Support/manage the development of internal RTB and IITA project reports.
3. Administration Assistance:
- Timely and effectively manage/support administrative and project management reporting of RTB research and communication outputs and products.
- Liaise with IITA Rwanda and CIAT staff on administrative issues related to the RTB project.
The candidate shall have the following competencies, skills and experience:
- At least a Bachelor degree in Business Administration, Communication, Economics, Management or other relevant fields
- At least two (2) years of relevant work experience in a closely related field with proven data collection and report writing skills.
- Fluent in both spoken and written English and Kinyarwanda
- Highly effective planning, organizational and multi-tasking skills with a positive attitude and strong administrative service orientation.
- High level of computer and ICT skills and ability to learn new applications quickly.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision, but also participate as a team member in accomplishment of duties.
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, good judgment and a high level of respect for confidentiality.
- Proactive, with ability to facilitate multidisciplinary teams
- Willingness to learn and develop as part of the IITA team in Rwanda.
- Ability to work in a multi‐cultural environment.
- Commitment to IITA’s mission and core values.
Terms of employment:
The position is nationally recruited, will be based at IITA Offices in Kigali, Rwanda. The contract will be for one (1) year period, subject to a probation period of three (3) months, renewable depending on performance and availability of resources.
How to apply:
Applicants are invited to visit http://ciat.cgiar.org/ciat-jobs to get full details of the position and to submit their applications, clearly indicating position applied for as: Research and Communication Assistant. An application Letter and Curriculum Vitae should be attached and saved as one document using candidate’s last name-first name for ease of sorting.
Applications closing date: 2nd March 2018
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.