The Maranyundo GirlsSchool (MGS) is ready to hire a dedicated individual to design, implement and manage our college career and counseling program. She will begin working with A level students, particularly S6 students and commit to staying through the first few years to ensure that the program is well integrated into the school’s programs and culture.
The Maranyundo Girls School is a girls boarding school dedicated to educational excellence located in Nyamata, Rwanda. We graduated our first class on November of 2017, with First Lady Jeannette Kagame delivery the keynote address. It is important that our students are not only prepared to apply and be accepted to the best university for them, but also have all of the resources and support that they need to succeed after they graduate. The school is owned and run by the Benebikira Congregation of Rwanda. The Maranyundo Initiative, based in the US, supports the school financially and programmatically.
Maranyundo Girls School is dedicated to the belief that every girl can achieve great things, regardless of family finances or background. Opened as a middle school (O Level) for 180 girls in 2008, it quickly achieved a national reputation for excellence, and has ranked in the top tier of middle schools in the country every year since its first class graduated in 2010. In January of 2017 the enrollment of the school will be complete at 400 girls, including the high school years (A Level). The high school of science and technology currently offers combinations in PCB (Physics, Chemistry and Biology), PCM (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics), and MPC (Mathematics, Physics , Computer Science).The Maranyundo girls and their families have chosen this school with these combinations and with its history of excellence because the girls intend to go on to university, at home or abroad.
The career and college counselling program will support students as they prepare for colleges in Rwanda, in Africa, internationally, and in the United States. The Maranyundo Director of College Counseling will work with students on an individual basis to identify the best university fit, assist with college applications, administer SAT/ACT/TOEFL prep, and support college essay writing and interviewing processes. This person will also be active in the International Association for College Admission Counselling (IACAC) as a platform for promoting Maranyundo and the girls and for inviting college admissions people to campus. This person will also set up programing within the school curriculum to support the girls preparation for applications to and success in their post secondary education. The qualified candidate will be ambitious, results-oriented, highly organized, energetic and committed to the future Maranyundo students. Previous experience with college admissions and counselling would be great, but not required.
· Show dedication to the success of every Maranyundo student and a commitment to finding the right fit for each girl.
· Advocate on behalf of the Maranyundo Girls School and students to potential colleges and universities around the world
· Guide students through an individual process of self-discovery, help them identify their interests and ambitions, brainstorm authentic essay topics, and advise students on a comprehensive and cohesive college application.
· Help students identify target schools that are good fits for them academically and socially, and fit within their financial needs.
· Work with S5 students to help them understand the college and career decision process and work with them to select in school and out of school activities to build their resume
· Provide detail-oriented guidance on all components of students’ university applications, including school list generation, personal statement development, resume polishing, and interview preparation.
· Support data-driven SAT/ACT/TOEFL test prep as needed to support students in reaching their college goals.
· Represent the Maranyundo Girls School at appropriate NACAC and IACAC events. The school will fund two international trips abroad to attend college fairs and visit colleges.
· Develop and maintain strong partnerships with college and universities and encourage admissions officers to visit the campus and meet with students.
· Craft compelling communications materials to inform admissions officers about the school, students, programs, and successes at the school and help build name recognition and the reputation of the school outside of Rwanda.
· Maintain the website blog and college visit calendar
· Form and maintain partnerships with firms working in a wide variety of STEM fields and community organizations to connect students to internships, volunteer opportunities, field trips, job-shadowing, and informational interviews to help students build their resumes.
· Manage 2-5 interns who will be assisting the Dir of College Counselling
· High level of organizational sophistication and understanding of college counseling processes.
· Knowledge of, or commitment to researching existing career development, mentorship, and gap-year programming for students.
· Ability to connect on an individual basis with 60 S5 and 60 S6 students each year to match each student with the most advantageous resources and career support services.
· Knowledge of and experience in applying to universities outside of Rwanda, including but not limited to the US.
· Familiarity with Kuder Career online career development and planning resources
· Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
· Have fluent English skills, with strong reading, writing, and public speaking abilities
· Bachelor’s degree or higher in Education, Psychology or related from an accredited institution. Preferred, Master’s in College Counseling.
· Previous experience in teaching or educational counseling or university admissions. Preferred, at least 2 years of experience in college counseling for High School Students.
· Familiarity with internet research, edvanto, email, and word processing programs such as Microsoft Word, or Google Docs and the ability to teach the girls to use all necessary and appropriate software..
· Commitment to remaining at Maranyundo Girls School for at least 3 years to establish the program.
Salary, benefits, and performance based bonus will be commensurate with experience as determined by the Head of School.
How to apply:
Interested Candidates should email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org , Attn: Head of School